One of the Feng Shui favourites, lucky bamboo is one of the must-haves when it comes to planting greens in house. Famous for its quality of minimal caring and positive effects on the ambience, you don’t have to toil to lay your hands on one. You can easily find it in your local nursery or always opt to order it online if you wish to save some bucks and enjoy a mess-free delivery of the plant at your doorstep. It is quite charming indoor plants that possess multiple qualities in different realms of characteristics of plants. Here are a few facts about the Lucky Bamboo that you should know before keeping it in your house or work space.
Named after a renowned German-English gardner, Henry Frederick Conrad Sander, it goes by the scientific name Dracaena Sanderiana. The other common and popular names for Lucky Bamboo are Curly Bamboo, Chinese Water Bamboo, Friendship Bamboo, Goddess of Mercy plant, Belgian Evergreen, and Ribbon Plant.
Despite being called lucky bamboo, this plant is not a bamboo at all. It belongs to the same family as a Lilly. It is native to the tropical rainforests of Africa and parts of Southeast Asia.
Feng Shui Symbolizations
It is one of those few plants that represent the five elements of Feng Shui. The stalk of the bamboo plant represents wood and the pebbles in the containers say earth. The container itself represents metal while the water is the growing medium for this plant. The red ribbon tied around the stalks presents the fire element of Feng Shui.
Number of Stalks
A popular plant to gift, the number of stalks in a lucky bamboo plant represents different meaning:
- Two Stalks: Love or Double Luck
- Three Stalks: Happiness, Long Life and Wealth
- Four Stalks: Should never be gifted. Presents negativity.
- Five Stalks: Over all health
- Six Stalks: Prosperity
- Seven Stalks: Good Physical Health
- Eight Stalks: Fertility
- Nine Stalks: Great Luck
- Ten Stalks: Contentment In Life
- Twenty-One Stalk: Very Auspicious
Lucky bamboo can survive well without soil. To put it in a pot with water, fill it with some pebbles, enough to hold it upright. Pour water in the container to cover the roots of the plant. Change the water in the container on a weekly basis.
Placement of Lucky Bamboo in The House
Here are a few tips to place the bamboo in your house to get this plant exudes maximum effect:
- Try to place the plant on a round table instead of square or rectangle one. Shapes with edges tend to cut positive chi energy.
- If you wish to place the plant in the home office or the work station at your office, try to do so in the east or south-east direction.
- To get fame luck, the south direction will be best for the Lucky bamboo plant.
- In the kitchen, the plant can be placed on the top of the refrigerator.
- Three or five stalks in the Lucky Bamboo plant is favourable in the kitchen.
It is used in the treatment in some infections and also to accelerate the healing process from wounds.
It absorbs more carbon dioxide than other plants hence maintaining fresh air flow in the space it sits in. It helps in reducing greenhouse effects.